Monday 29 May 2017

From Swaziland 18.5.90

From Swaziland
18.5.90

Dear Lorna,

                Thanks for your greetings. Since when do you have a commodore computer?
I only have just over 2 weeks left in Swaziland, and I can’t believe the pieces of paper I have to sign. I’m not packed at all. I may be spending a few days in Gaborone. I went to Kruger again last weekend, but still haven’t seen cheetah or leopard.

                You’re right about the shopping here, it’s terrible. I’d love to go on a spree in London, but there’s a little problem called POUNDS.

                I’m sorry I never got back to Natal. Though maybe it was better that way.

                I’m not sad to leave Swaziland. I had a hard time at work and I’m amazed that I kept going at work, getting there on time, every day. Sometimes I’d run away to the computer in the afternoon, but most times I stuck it out. Without meaning to, I’ve got more into an ‘expat’ camp, which isn’t why I am here.

                It’s depressing that I’m so negative about Swaziland and the people.

                I’m posting stuff back, I’m told this is the cheapest, though I know it’s not reliable. Masa is going to try and sell my household effects for a 20% cut. I will miss Masa, she is my closest ‘African’ friend and she’s not Swazi. She got ordered to return to her husband in the traditional court last week. She refused. Monday is her civil case. She is having trouble finding somewhere to leave, because everyone is scared of Patrick.  She says no one would have taken her in. Now Patrick says he will look for a place for her and promise to stay away.

                I suppose I always knew it was dangerous to have Masa, but I couldn’t say no. I’m glad Beverley visited her mother. I have a lot to do with the children, who in the last 12 months have really changed. Lungeli’s English is excellent, and Sandie doesn’t scream as much.

                I’m out of it newswise. I don’t have a radio or T.V. and only occasionally see a newspaper. I have no news about Australia, except from mum. I don’t really know more about Africa or South Africa. And nobody knows what goes on in Swaziland.  It’s a real secret society. Nobody knows how many wives or children the king has. Nobody like him either. He won’t last.

                I left work with few regrets, because I actually achieved quite a lot that can be physically seen. I also produced a bibliography that was published and a research index. But my boss never spoke to me for over 6 months, so the working environment was not ideal.

                I hope to see Thuli, the nicest Swazi librarian in London, if she is not too busy with exams.
 I wouldn’t cross the road for the others.

                Regards to your little ones and the one in the white coat.

                                                                                                                                Love Pam






No comments:

Post a Comment