Wednesday 1 March 2017

From Melbourne 9.10.86

From Melbourne
9.10.86

Dear Lorna, Melissa, Jolene and Stacey,
                                                                The weather here seems very cold but there are advantages in this. I don’t feel tired and I’m sleeping less than in Empangeni and drinking mush less tea. If I drank what I drank in Empangeni I would be continually going to the toilet.

                Last Sunday I visited a person who lives around the block and I went to school with. When he saw me he grabbed me and hugged me couldn’t stop shaking hands.  His wife was just staring at us. He has become a born again Christian but in him it seems alright. He’s got a good job. His wife was previously married with a ten year old girl. His wife was born in Yugoslavia and her mother still lives there. Her mother has six daughters (one in USA, one in Sweden, one in Austria, one in Australia and to in Yugoslavia) so what can I say about your mother or mine.

                The receptionist in Camperdown said my face looked familiar. It turns out I was in the same class as her brother. I asked what is he doing now. She was partly embarrassed and said he was a stop–go man. You know those men who stop the cars when roadworks are in progress. I nearly fell over I was thinking that’s a job for a black. You definitely don’t miss the blacks. In fact you don’t even know they are not there. You forget them so quickly.

                I saw another dentist but he was smooth talking continuously and acting in such a snobbish fashion I left very quickly. Such is   life. He probably was glad to get rid of me.

                I don’t know if I mentioned it but I think it’s best to take the pram as luggage with the suitcases. There is no need for it to go with you as hand luggage. It will just get in your way.

                You must tell Jolene and Melissa that I’m sorry but I couldn’t hear what they were saying on the phone. It was a terrible line. I see they have a nice Guide and Brownie hall near the main street. There is a swimming pool and they put a plastic cover on it to try and warm the water. There is a heated pool in the next town though I don’t know how big it is.

                Today I bought an ox-tail to cook. Most of the cooking and heating is done with gas. My mother’s stove is gas and I have just noticed that the flame has gone out with gas leaking into the room. I think electricity is more convenient than gas and gas seems slower.

                I just received your second letter. You were talking about people saying things and talking away behind my back. I’m sure you can stand up to anything throw at you and I’m not interested in anything that is not said directly to me.
                                                                                                                                                Love Alan

Ps don’t forget to get an International Driving License







No comments:

Post a Comment