Wednesday 1 March 2017

From Camperdown 13.10.86

From Camperdown
13.10.86



Dear Lorna, Melissa, Jolene & Stacey, I’m staying in an old homestead, Purrumbetle. It’s open for tours every Sunday and it’s magnificent. It was built in 1842 and it’s huge with an adjacent lake. It’s run as a small private hotel and I cannot believe my luck in finding this place. The lake is full of waterfowl which I can hear at this moment.

                The receptionist at work was in Beverley’s class at school and her brother was in my class. When she told her brother about me he didn’t know I was a dentist and he said he would rush down here to see me. He sounded excited.

                My first day of work was typical in that I couldn’t find anything and everything I not exactly where you want it. It took ages to do the fillings. But the patients were good and friendly. At the moment I don’t have any reputation so anything can happen yet.

                In the newspapers there is almost no news about RSA. Occasionally on about page 10 is a small paragraph. I haven’t seen anything on TV. Most people don’t even know where South Africa is.  Though I see that at the next town from here Colac a rotary exchange student from RSA was refused enrolment. The principal was frightened of unions or his own imagination. Such people are so gutless and pick on a solitary exchange student. Nobody will ever thank this principal for not enrolling the student that is for sure.

                I’m still getting used to the weather. Because of the weather people get up later and finish work later. The town is still very sleepy at 8:30. Melbourne seems to be much colder than I remember. As soon as a nice day comes along people make the most of it. Like when we were in Capetown. People definitely appreciate it more.

                Though I would not go back to the heat of Empangeni. That was far worse and sapped/drained your energy in a way which is much worse than feeling a bit cold.

                I am posting this from Camperdown so it may take longer to reach you. I will try and phone you sometime during this week.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                Love Alan               




                 


No comments:

Post a Comment