Wednesday 1 March 2017

From Howick 19.10.86

From Howick
19.10.86


Dear Alan,

I hope you are feeling more cheerful about the climate there and I suggest that you buy yourself some warm pyjamas and a jersey.  You definitely didn’t equip yourself for cold weather and I suppose that if you had warmer clothes you wouldn’t be suffering so much.

We have had nice weather this weekend and all the children have been swimming and are sunburnt. The family reunion was yesterday and there were between 60 and 70 people here. There was so much food and cakes and everybody made pigs of themselves and enjoyed it very much and of course there was tons of food left over. I am glad it is over now because my mother has been quite anxious about it the whole week and has been baking everyday. Neal and Vanessa were the only ones who stayed overnight and Sheila and Ronald left Tarryn and Donovan and it was quite a squeeze with us staying here.

My mother is a saint; she really puts up with a lot from her children, her in-laws and her grandchildren and I am sure it will be a relief to her when we leave because she really goes out of her way to be accommodating and I feel quite guilty when I can’t tolerate the dogs or the other children.
Stacey has now got both her bottom teeth and at the moment she has got a terrible nappy rash which I think is the result of the teething. Her little bottom has been quite raw for the last couple of days. Last week I went to fetch Jolene from school as she especially asked me if I would fetch her early and so I spoke to both their teachers. They both said that Melissa and Jolene were doing fine and weren’t experiencing any problems and didn’t seem to be behind in anything. On Friday I fetched Jolene again and Sherry stayed at school to catch the later bus which left Melissa to catch the bus home by herself. She wasn’t too sure where to get off and on top of it all I forgot to fetch her from the bus stop so Lesley rushed off to meet her and by the time she found Melissa she was in tears.

Things are much the same here. Neal took the Renault back with him today. The spare wheel is missing so it must still be at Rally Motors in Empangeni so I must try and get it back. I am still eating too much and exercising too little, but you know what my mother is like, there is just so much food in this house and so much goes to waste. She hates throwing anything out and everytime she isn’t watching, I go into the kitchen to tidy up and throw all the left-overs away. This morning my dad ate warmed up curry that has been lying out since lunchtime yesterday.  Tonight he ate scrambled egg that was left in the pan since breakfast and it was left there because it was burnt. When I remarked on it he gave me a long story about the POW camp.

Debbie comes over every day. Debbie thinks Jonathon is the best thing since sliced bread and tries to cling to him and he tries his hardest to get away. He also tries very hard to be like all the other children.  He also gets quite cheeky with Debbie and because it sounds so cute she usually ends up laughing which is just typical of Debbie. Jenna is also crawling properly now and still gets up either on her hands and knees or hands and feet but does not have any ambition to go anywhere. I must end off now as it is 9:30 pm Sunday night and I am feeling very tired.  Stacey is still waking up about 4 or 5 times a night and I am feeling very washed out.
                                                                                                                                                All my love
                                                                                                                                                                Lorna
                                                                                                                                                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXX       

   







No comments:

Post a Comment