Friday 24 March 2017

From Hilton 17.6.87

From Hilton
17.6.87

Dear Lorna & family,

Thanks a lot for the letter & photos. We only got them on Friday so it probably seems like ages since you heard from me.

We were due back on Saturday but we received a message to say that our house had been burgled & could we please come home. Fortunately only money, a watch & our new camera had gone. They could have taken everything. You could not believe the tiny window which they smashed & climbed through.

Anyway we had a lovely holiday. We were so lovely & warm despite the frost that there was snow all over the country. We did a lot of walking & Ma swam every day. The closest Lionel came to swimming was one morning when he actually put his costume on & went down to the tidal pool. E decided it was too cold to swim. He went to feel what the water was like & as he stepped onto the first step it was so slippery that he fell in. Dad and I had a good laugh when we saw that he was not hurt. It was jolly dangerous. We met a man of 85 swimming there & he told us that he had also slipped down the stairs.

It is so cold here in the mornings & at night I bought R40 worth of tracksuit material & I was sewing whenever I have a free minute. Jonathon is at school this morning so I am hoping to get a bit of sewing done.  Monday night Lionel had to see a customer in Durban, so we went to Neal’s house. I suppose you know that Neal is in the army again for 2 months. Poor Vanessa has to try & cook for them when she comes home from work. It must be jolly tiring. Anyway I am sure Ma will take Byron & Wesley for the holidays. Vanessa wants to keep Garrett with her for company.

I forgot to tell you how Lionel got to Margate. The night before we were leaving Jock came around to our house. His friend has an aeroplane and this guy was going to Margate the next day & Jock was going too. Lionel jokingly asked if there was an extra seat in the plane & Jock said that another guy had cancelled. So it only cost Lionel R10, and it only took 50 minutes to get there. It was so exciting for him. The week before Lionel had taken us to the Royal show & had a five minute ride over Pietermaritzburg in the Port Natal Radio helicopter.

Anyhow, I do not have much more news to write. I am sending you a photo of my kids which I had done in Margate at the studio. Talking of kids, I am planning one soon, but I would like one in a few years time when my two are a bit bigger. I find it strange that the girls over there have bigger families, since they don’t have servants. I suppose having servants makes one lazy anyway. Vanessa told us that Angela is pregnant. By the way Vanessa & Jenny are wondering why you have not written back to them. Did you receive their letters? Anyhow I have to go now. Keep well & send my love to the kids. Write soon.

Love Debbie, Lionel & Johnathon

Ps I forgot to tell you while we were away we left Silky on the farm & she disappeared. She had walked all the way home. She is a lovely, faithful dog. We were so pleased to find her.




No comments:

Post a Comment