Wednesday 1 March 2017

From Howick 1.10.86

From Howick
1.10.86

Dear Alan,

I have had a very busy day today and I have not managed to do any studying. I went to the clinic in Howick this morning but they were so busy that I didn’t wait. After that I went back to Maritzburg to sign the documents at the attorney’s office. They couldn’t tell me how long it would be before the money comes through but I told them I need it urgently and so the lady said she would push it through as soon as possible. I also had to sort out with Natal Properties because the rent for the house had not been paid for September but it has been paid now. I also went to Dhodas to buy some fruit and they are still quite good. I also saw Mrs Smith in town and chattered to her for a bit. She told me that she landed up in hospital for 11 days with that burn that she had.

There was also a telegram from the Australian Embassy. I was so mad yesterday because I phoned them and this unhelpful dutchwoman refused to help me and said that they don’t have time to attend to any queries so I wrote them a letter. Today I got this telegram asking me to phone urgently so I took a chance and phoned after 2 o’clock. I was told that they have been trying to get hold of me for a few days. Anyway the problem was that Stacey was on my passport and had not had a medical and that there were two options – either she has a medical or she gets her own passport which takes about 2 weeks. Your authority for Stacey to get a passport must be telexed from the nearest passport issuing office to you.  Our immigration papers have been approved but my passport can only be returned after it has been stamped in the visa section and there they try and do it to coincide with your t ravel arrangements. It also turned out that they did not need Melissa’s full birth certificate. I was informed that the fact that she was included in my passport was proof enough that she was my child. In any case I sent it off, together with a letter saying that we want to leave on the 5–11–86. I also managed to get my passport no and so I am sending off the forms for the Zimbabwean visa.

I decided to send Melissa and Jolene to school by bus because I thought it would be cheaper in the long run. It costs R40 each. Jolene has also been staying at school until Melissa finishes and so they don’t get home until 2.30 pm. They were excited about catching the bus. They don’t seem to be having any problems at the moment. Things haven’t been so bad here at the farm. I get up and make the children sandwiches and porridge and then walk with them to the bus stop.

This afternoon I took them for a nice long walk because I wanted us to be alone together for a while. Stacey’s cough seems to be getting worse and she also has a runny nose so she has difficulty feeding. I will probably take her to the doctor tomorrow. At night, when she wakes up, I take her into bed with me but as soon as I put her back in the pram she wakes up and cries. She has been very good but I think she must miss you too.

I hope you are having good luck with finding a job & car. I was thinking that a sedan will be alright because Stacey will need a car seat and won’t   be travelling in the carrycot for much longer. Debbie was telling me today that if things get so bad in the country that it becomes like Rhodesia with the men spending so much time at the border she told my mother that she won’t stick around in this country. She didn’t say where she would go but she certainly has changed her tune.

Well I think I must finish now. I am busy feeding Stacey with one hand and writing with the other. I will go inside and make myself a cup of hot milk – it has turned cold again – and then I will go to bed (if I can sleep. The wind is blowing and the roof is banging). Missing you lots,

All my love
                Lorna XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX




No comments:

Post a Comment