Wednesday 8 March 2017

From Howick 20.1.87

From Howick
20.1.87

Dear Allan, Lorna & family
                                                                Well this was to have been a long newsy letter, but my wrist is already playing up so will see how long it lasts.

First of all congratulations from all of us on passing your exam. I sent the money off last week, so you should be receiving your books soon I hope, but when I see how long the post takes I wonder when you receive same – we still haven’t received any parcels from you as yet. I was quite sick for over a month – Daddy blames Neal’s children, but I don’t think that was the cause  I had a miserable Xmas & spent most of the time in bed so missed all the good TV shows – I think Ronald  was worried about me, that is why they lent us their car & caravan to go to Scottburgh with – we had a lovely 8 days I wasn’t too well at first & lived on  milk with biscuits & custard , when we came home I still wasn’t well I didn’t even feel like swimming – but I am my old self again now thank god & have made up for the last time, by swimming all day – it has been so hot that we have even been swimming at night. Thank goodness we had a lovely storm last night & this afternoon lots of rain.
I baby sat for Debbie last night they went to see “Crocodile Dundee” with Paul Hogan & thoroughly enjoyed it. Ron & Les & Sherry also saw it. Jonathon often asks after all of you – Fay is walking all over the place  & is such an active pops & I am afraid she steels all the limelight from Jonathon – I even sometimes forget him and then he says “Hello Nana” & I feel awful. All the family are well , Neal, Vanessa & boys are coming for the weekend – Vanessa phoned and told me the children continually fighting was getting her down – thank goodness they are all back at  school. Sheila, Ronald & kids are coming the following weekend and then going on to see Jenny & Jim, who are all well.

Dad after much badgering has at long last put the window in our bedroom (or should I say Elliot) he is well & same as always. We’ve had a bumper crop of beans & so has Lionel so I have made 3 lots of delicious bean relish & frozen a lot too. I picked rhubarb today and thought about you all. Plant penny royal (a herb), then crush some leaves at night & put them in your house & that will chase the flies away.

The Hayes, Aunty Norah, Aunty Kay & friends all send their love. Jenny is waiting to hear from you.  Tell Smiley Sherry started to write & got no further than “Dear Smiley”. The TV went on the blink & Dad & I were in bed by 6:50 so we had it fixed R75. We miss you all – by the way R946 was deposited into your account & I also deposited R139 refund from your lights. Write soon and let us know what Stacey does. Fay say Nana & ta ta & ta. Tons of love Dad, Mum & family.

Ps have just finished listening to the news & remembered a few more things to say.

I made about 30 pairs of boxer shorts & baggies for all the boys before Xmas. I have just made ay 3 beautiful nighties from a piece of material that Nola gave to Debbie.

Yesterday some people arrived here & said could they have a look over the properties as they and built the 2 houses & lived here – the mother was colored & had married to a white chap, who divorced her & now lives in Australia with one of her sons, who was here on holiday from Australia & wanting to see his old home & took photos of the 2 houses.

Do you remember Linda, who married the boy from England & went to live there, well they are getting divorced & she can’t come back to South Africa, because of the 2 children……………………..

Just seen the big white shark that a 14 years old boy from Melbourne caught. I found a very old postcard of Melbourne, must be over 15 years old & even then it looks hugh & so flat. The photos were lovely & it looks just like here. I see the Australians cribbed our idea for tables & chairs. 

                 Love Mum







No comments:

Post a Comment