Saturday 30 July 2016

From Victoria (Lois) : 14.3.82

From Victoria
14.3.82

Dear Alan,
                                Surprise, surprise I bet you thought this was a letter from Mum. When I left home she gave me the aerogram, with your address on it. She also gave me 5 envelopes with stamps on them. I think she must of thought I wasn’t the letter writing type. I seem to be spending all my time writing letters.  I haven’t got one from home yet. The first time I went home, mum gave me one she had written, but hadn’t had time to send. I was just having a shower and decided it was time I wrote to you. You will notice my writing is easy to understand than yours’s.
I don’t know what Mum has told you about me. I’m teaching at Werrimull, 60 km west of Mildura. It is the furtherest secondary school in the state from Melb. It is a consolidated school, which means it’s both primary and secondary. There are altogether 140 kids. The secondary school has 57 kids. There are 14 secondary teachers, so it’s a good ratio, it’s wheat country up here. It is flat, dry and hot. Today is going to be yet another hot day. Actually the weather hasn’t been too unbearable.
Melb seem to be having all the hot days we are. This part of the state is generally the hottest. Apparently last year at the start off the year; it was unbearable.  The weather is beginning to change now. Typical autumn days, cool nights and mornings, warmer afternoons. It’s supposed to get very cold in winter. The kids tell me there are only two seasons, hot and cold. 
I couldn’t ask for a better introduction to teaching. The classes are small. I have a class with one girl. There are no discipline problems. It is a nice gentle start. I’m able to get my curriculum into gear. Most first year teachers spend the first year developing class room strategies. Luckily I don’t have to worry about that. There is another h/ec teacher on staff. She is giving me all the freedom I want, which is very good. 
I suppose it must be like when you were working in Queensland. A period to establish yourself without pressures. The staff are very young, which is also good. They are a very social staff. We have to make our own entertainment. In a couple of weeks we are going on a Murray cruise. I’m living at a lake which is on the Stuart highway. Werrimul is 13 k inland. The lake is very pretty, full of bird life. Yesterday morning   I was woken at 5 am by shooting.  It was the start of the duck season. I seem to have run out of paper love Lois

                                                                                PS the rug you sent is very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment