Saturday 23 July 2016

From Melbourne (colleague) : 15th February

From Melbourne
15.2.82

Dear Alan
                I figure you are probably back from Zimbabwe by now and have some idea of practice possibilities there. They must be better than paying $80000 for a part time practice in Melbourne. You painted an interesting picture of dentistry Soweto style. Is there any hostility towards you there? Is the place ready to explode as we are lead to believe?  It would seem to be a much more stable situation in Zimbabwe and they must be short of dentists because so many of the barstards grabbed their dough and headed for Oz when the going got rough.

                Personally I prefer to forget Bill Lawry’s and Bob Simpson’s visit to SA. It was all part of the aussies bad run against quality fast bowlers which began with Hall and Griffiths and continued through Snow etc. to the present matches versus the Windies.   Although I saw Hughes make a brilliant 100 in the Melbourne test a few weeks ago and we finally drew the series 1 all. I was surprised to see that the Pollocks are still playing. They must be well into their 40s. The players there can forget about any chance of Test cricket as the Windies and Pakis would immediately refuse to play   against their opponents.

                Did the fact that the whites are trying to get money out of the country indicate the exodus is still on? I admit I do lump them all together as a pack of turds but with the stories we get here do you wonder. It sounds as though you have met some good ones. Anyway if you are enjoying dentistry then stick to it. I can’t say it is doing much for me at the moment, and the usual February gaps are beginning to appear in the book. I am going to arrange it so that I can have a spare to run when possible. Thank you for being jealous about the Melbourne Marathon. You didn’t mention if you are still running. If so give yourself 8 weeks approx. to get fit for a marathon. My running was based on average of 1 hour per day for 6 days a week but I was doing more than this in the last month.  I was running at a consistent 5min/km pace. This was a mistake as I should have been mixing up the fast stuff with the slogging, in retrospect. I am planning to run another in Canberra in April.

                Make sure that do a couple (at least) of runs of about 20 mile distance in the 2 or 3 weeks before the run, and practice running while drinking every 5 km or so. Yes I hit the wall at about 32 km right where the books say it might happen and the last 6 miles were very tough and I did a lot of walking here.

                Regards   CJ


No comments:

Post a Comment