Saturday 23 July 2016

From Melbourne (Anne) : 9th March 1982

From Melbourne
9.3.82
Dear Alan,
                When not much happens I keep putting off writing to you which isn’t fair on you because I am sure you like to hear some news from home even if it is not much.

                I haven’t got a job with the Ed Dept yet though they said I should have a job by the end first term. I have applied for emergency teaching too.

                It doesn’t really worry me because I plenty to do at home looking after Ben. He is nearly 2 ½ and still has his blond wavy hair like you did. He talks lots now and is good fun. He even says “I love you Mum” and “you cutie Mum”.

                I have started playing Pennant Squash after playing no sport at all for years and years. The first match I didn’t even know al the rules but I am learning them. I have started out as the bottom player of the bottom team of the club but already I have improved. I also go to Gym at the Hub at Sunshine for some exercise each week. Ben pinched my biro off me so I had to change color.

                Last Sunday we got our latest addition to the family – A five week old corgi pup off Ann Bridgford , who you might remember. The pup is black with patches of white and brown and absolutely beautiful. She comes with pedigree papers so we can breed from her if we want to. (Though we haven’t decided whether to or not yet). In my next letter I shall try to remember to send you a photograph of Ben and the dog who we call “Jo” or “Joey”.

                I took Ben to my regular check-up at the dentist – so he can get used to him. He talks to the Dentist and watched him clean my teeth and thought it most interesting.

                I watched a BBC program on TV about the very poor people in Kenya. It seemed to me that any country you took and looked at what happens to the people living away from the tourist routes – all countries are much the same – no better or no worse than South Africa ie Life gets harder for the poor and they increase in number and in degree of poorness.

                                                Bye for now
                                                Love Anne XXXX




No comments:

Post a Comment