Thursday 14 July 2016

From Melbourne (Mum) : 22nd December 1981

Melbourne
22.12.81

Dear Alan,
                                Finished last week for the Christmas holidays so I went into town today to find out what I could about getting another passport. All I found out was a passport has to last for five years and while you have one you can get another. There is a way the government works out visas and passports if you are going to several countries that don’t have anything to do with each other. You get a separate part but this is all done before you leave Australia and only seems to be for travelling not when you are working. One person suggested you go and talk to people at Thomas Cook in Johannesburg. They are about travel agents there are and deal all over the world. I don’t think we have an ambassador in South Africa but we do trade with them so there should be some-one over    there who might be able to help you.

                As I said in the last letter I found your boots. I cleaned them and they should be dry now so I will send them off tomorrow. Remember I said about a lady from church whose daughter has gone to live there. She gave me her present address if you are going to Durban. I know she would like to speak to someone who comes from here. Sunshine is almost the same as St Albans. The lady who has gone is Mrs D. Her mother is a very nice elderly lady who originally came from Holland. I know it sounds a bit like asking a person who is coming to Melbourne to look up a friend who lives in Perth but you never know you may go to Durban. I was talking to Mrs Gartley last week Ian has to go to Mildura for his first year out because he didn’t get into hospital in Melbourne.  I don’t think he is very happy but I would have thought it would be a good hospital. It does mean though that Mrs Gartley will be left home by herself. She will miss Ian.

                Lois was offered a job in the Northern Territory in a school on a cattle station outside Katherine. She wasn’t like you she thought she would be lonely and I think a bit scared to go all that way. Anyhow she has decided not to go and take her chance there. I’ll write a longer letter after Christmas
                Love Mum



No comments:

Post a Comment