Sunday 31 July 2016

From Howick 11.5.82

From Howick
11.5.82


Dear Mum,
                                The start of the article by Peter Smark about changing people’s races overnight reminds me of a short story by Bosman.  Bosman was an Afrikaaner writing in English about his own people, the poor white Dutchmen in Northern Transvaal near Botswana, without hate.

                I’ve been spending all my weekends travelling around looking for a place to start on my own. There is a lot of potential down here so I got an interpreter but when we got down near Transkei none of the local blacks would speak to him because he was from a different tribe.  So the antipathy between the English and Dutchmen is surpassed only by that between the various black tribes.


                Regards Alan 




No comments:

Post a Comment