Thursday 15 September 2016

From Transkei : 1.6.83

From Transkei
1.6.83
Dear Mum,
                                I just received your letter and there is some stuff I need. I don’t know what it is called but it slices chops vegetables and I need it. If there are any other quality cooking utensils could you please send them over. Also I had a cardboard box full of notes and a few books. If you know where this is I would appreciate it. I am going to get a house or flat (free accommodation) so I need to fill it full of something.

                Proteas grow down in the Cape.

                 The rock group you talk of must be Jaluka. If there is a future for the white man in Africa it has to be along such lines.  

                Andre Brink would be the first to admit that his writing is not realistic/naturalistic. I forget the word to describe it but all the characters are either completely good or bad. I don’t like his writing and a lot of it seems very laboured   and his intended message hits you on the head with great power on page 1. If you take his books out of RSA and the 1980s then I don’t think they have any intrinsic value though that is debatable.

                Another photo of some of the locals. I went with a couple of med students for a drive to these falls. The natives chased after the car calling for money and sweets. When we went to take some photos they put their fists up. I don’t know why this was.

                Last Sunday afternoon for excitement I watched some MOs perform a caesar.  They get plenty of practice.

                                Alan
                                  




No comments:

Post a Comment