Thursday 15 September 2016

From Melbourne (Mum) : 17.4.83

From Melbourne
17.4.83
Dear Alan,
                                I hope you are alright. Are you running much still. We watched Robert De Castella win the marathon last Sunday in Rottendam. I don’t know whether you had much chance to watch it. It really was a good race with the first 6 running together for most of the race. He really is a wonderful runner. I heard him interviewed after and he said he would never run more than 3 marathons in a year (I mean races). We were almost late for church because we couldn’t leave until the race was finished. 

                I see that the film Gandhi is starting in Sth Africa this week. Both Lois and Pamela has seen it. They both said it was worth seeing but Pamela said the film had a few mistakes.              How could they put all of Gandhi’s story into just 4 hours. Pamela has also seen the other films that were in the contest for the best film – The Verdict, Tootsie and Sophie’s Choice. She found Tootsie good fun – we are going to see it soon – didn’t like The Verdict and thought Sophie’s Choice a very good film but depressing.

                We could be doing something for Dad’s birthday. He will be 60 on May 9th. We are getting old! I am not sure what we will do. You can be sure whatever happens we will not be able to please everybody! I am not going to worry whether I please everybody I am just going to do what I think Dad would like best. The trouble is I am not quite sure yet.

                It is very quiet here now. Only Lois is home now and she isn’t here very much. I find myself often here by myself as I am now. I keep buying too much food but he place is still not very tidy.

                I think I mentioned in the last letter that Footscray had won a football match. Well they have also won the last two matches as well. They are 6th on the list which is the highest they have been for years. They have some new recruits from Western Australia who are laying well. (Next day) I was interrupted last night am finishing at kinder. It is a beautiful day sun shining but not too hot and no wind. Everything is beginning to look green again soon you will not know that we have had a drought. The farmers say they haven’t had enough rain yet but we have had a lot. Even in the burnt out forests the trees, grasses @ ferns are beginning to grow again. We saw a wombat walking through the forest on Saturday. Normally you would never see one but it had nowhere to hide. I do hope you are looking after yourself and not trying to do too much.

                                                                Love from Mum.    



No comments:

Post a Comment