Thursday 15 September 2016

From Melbourne (Mum) : 27.2.84

From Melbourne
27.2.84
Dear Alan,
                                What you suggest in your letter sounds quiet good. Pietermaritzburg seems to be the center of many of the interesting places in South Africa.

                We are not whether we will be able to drive in one day down to there. We will try but if we feel tired (we will both take turns driving) after our plane trip we will stop and spend the night in a town along the way and then come to Pietermaritzburg in the morning. We are not sure how we will feel after our plane flight. Don’t forget I haven’t been in a plane since before I was married.

                Could you please book a flight from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and back in the last week. Best to be back in Johan before Sunday 20th May when we leave. I know Johannesburg is not really a tourist town but I suppose we should have a look around it for one day.  But as I said previously I think the people of South Africa are the most interesting part of the country. I am about half way through Scramble for Africa and have finished North of South and before that the Life and Times of Michael K which won the Booker award this year. It is set in Capetown and on the edge of the Karoo. Wasn’t a bad story. The history of SA is very complicated much different from Australia.

                I just thought about Victoria Falls seeing that we are coming all this way we will have to see them some way if you can’t book as I said would you please do it some other way.

                Just happened to see a program last night (a repeat) on the white rhino in the Umfolozi Game reserve. It was an Attenborough program.

                I am just sending this off quickly so it should catch the weekend plane. Later I will send a longer letter.
                                                                                                Love from Mum

               




No comments:

Post a Comment