Thursday 15 September 2016

From Melbourne : 27.9.83

From Melbourne
27.9.83
Dear Alan,
                I have been waiting to write to you when I had something to tell you about whether we come to South Africa. But we are no further ahead than when we started. I think your father would rather go at Christmas than next year. He says that we are going to see you more than the country. It would rather suit me better to come next year but he will not make up his mind. Last week the Government has allowed extra flights for Christmas to South Africa but it seems others have been cut out. We just don’t know if there is any chance of getting on one them. As you can see we are getting no where fast but maybe they will sort themselves out in a few weeks.

                Last Saturday dad and Beverley and her boyfriend Paul went to the Grand Final of the football. I won’t say anything because you are getting a letter about it. On the same night was the American Cup but that was cancelled. It was held last night and Australia beat the Americans. Not very many Australians are really interested in yacht races but when we win after so many years there has been a bit more notice.

                I went up to Trentham by myself on Saturday and spent the day trying to clear up branches that had fallen from the cypress trees.  I didn’t get very close. I am very strong and the branches were hard to me. Pamela and her friend Clare spent the weekend walking in the Grampians. She is off to Canada in two weeks. I think it will be cold. I am not sure why they chose to got to Canada It is such a big place you spend most of your time travelling.

                Lois and Ken came over to our place Saturday afternoon to see the football final in colour – didn’t find anyone there – just left a note thanking us for the TV. I bet they didn’t stay for the whole match it sort of petered out in the second half.

                Just watched the news tonight on TV all about the America Cup.  Last weekend it was all football today all yachting no wonder people say we are sports mad. But there would not have been all this fuss if we hadn’t won. Sorry I didn’t send a card for your birthday. I just couldn’t find one in Sunshine that I could possible send they were all so awful. I hope you had a good day. Just read a story in the Herald tonight the brother of the skipper of the yacht Australia 11 is a dentist in Melbourne and he had to cancel all of his appointments because he was so excited he couldn’t keep his hands still. In other parts of the world there could be disasters happen but we don’t hear about them. Maybe we live in a fool’s paradise.

                                                                                                                Love Mum 




No comments:

Post a Comment