Sunday 19 February 2017

From Tonga 5.6.86

From Tonga
5.6.86

Dear Alan,
                Enclosed is a little something for the two girls. My attempts to find out from Mum their ages and sizes (to buy T-shirts or something) has been a lost cause, so I hope they are the right age for losing their first teeth. I haven’t bought them anything before, though I’m absolutely broke, I’ve still managed to send presents back to Australia for most occasions.

                Tongan handicrafts are lovely, but I’m sure you have bulk South African ones as it is. Anyway I owe you and Lorna ‘something’ when you get to Australia and earn some money again. (I do get an allowance, but it’s very small and so far has never been enough). I have only one month to go here, so I am now tying up some loose ends. Though I have really very little to take back with me (no Tongan husband!), though a little girl, aged fifteen would like to come as ‘luggage’.

                I may have given the wrong impression but Tongans also go to church to sing. The service is really a hymn sandwich. It is not at all like the Uniting Church in Australia but follows the Anglican service of the time of John Wesley – lots of liturgy and responses. Every church has a big choir and often a brass band.

                I’m not as charitable of Christians as you are; not after working in a nominal Christian country in a Christian school. I find it all so unbelievable I cannot imagine how anyone can believe such rubbish.

                What do you mean of by because of your background you are incapable of believing? Is it the general environment of Australia or a more specific one of our family? Strange how none of us believe except Anne.

                Anyway I’m using the church to go to probably my last Tongan feast on Sunday week. I use it as a time for day dreaming and are thankful that I cannot understand a word that is said so don’t have to listen to garbage. The singing is always wonderful.

                                                                                                                                                                Cheers Pam


                 

                               



No comments:

Post a Comment