Sunday 19 February 2017

From Melbourne 1.7.86

From Melbourne
1.7.86
Dear Alan and Lorna,
                                                I hope the weather was better for you in Capetown than when we were there. We will never forget the Sunday we were there. We went for a walk in the Malay section – it was freezing we were nearly blown off our feet. We found a small Malay museum where we sheltered for a while. The other days were not quite as bad we kept our eye on Table Mt and when it was clear to go up as quickly as possible. The weather reminded a little of Melbourne but I thought it was windier.

                We used to see on our news lots of pictures from Capetown especially the crossroads part but because of the restrictions of news we are not getting much about South Africa now. There was an article in today’s paper about Chief Buthelezi. I put it in because I thought you might be interested as it’s nearer to you. A little while ago we were getting South Africa morning noon and night – radio, newspaper and TV.  We were getting so much that people were getting sick of it. One night on PM the reporter started the program by saying ‘there is nothing about South Arica tonight’. I have never heard this before about any country before. There was an awful lot of interest in what was happening in South Africa but now it is forgotten for the moment.

                But if Pamela’s letters are any indication you certainly can’t believe all that you read in the paper. Everytime there has been an article about Tonga I have sent it to her. There have not been very many but each time she replies and tells me what was right or wrong about it.

                The last one was just a simple one about the King riding his bike which he does up the road near the school where Pamela lives so she knows all about it. They didn’t get much right except that he rides a bike most of the details were wrong. It’s been the same with every article that has been written some parts correct and many details completely wrong. 

                You do wonder what you can believe. Anyhow we got Pamela’s last letter today she will be home this weekend. The last couple of weeks we have been clearing all the junk from Pamela’s room. We have had to put everything back they have worn (it’s not very much) so that Pamela won’t know. Tomorrow Beverly is going for an interview to be shifted to a different department and she wanted to look respectable so she has borrowed a shirt from Pamela. She has only two days to get it back so I hope she doesn’t dirty it.

                I am not sure how we are going to get over the next couple of weeks while Pamela gets back in   the Australian way of life which is entirely different to how she lived the last two years – At least she has a job. She has a temporary job where she used to work as some-one has left for maternity leave. They offered the job to Pamela so she can earn some money while she is looking for another job. She has put in an order for Sunday lunch which will be her first meal. She wants a roast and chocolate pudding. After living for two years on one gas ring and meat cooked in the ground or barbequed. She hasn’t had a roast potato for 2 years. But then she has been living on tropical fruits which we don’t have.

                Last week I read an article of a businessman in Johannesburg who was over 40 and celebrating with his friends for finishing the race from Pietermaritzburg to Durban. It didn’t say how long he took but he was just so glad to be able to finish. I think you all mad. I can’t run to the end of the street! I think the marathon is long enough to expect anyone to run. You did run in a much less time so you much be fitter than you were last year or madder I am not sure which. I get enough exercise each day getting the kindergarten equipment out each day and from getting up and down off the floor each day dozens of time.

                It’s not very many people who when they go out have a choice of legs. I am trying to imagine what the leg is like that bends but I can’t. The only people I know here who have an artificial leg are from the knee. But it must make a difference if it bends. How does it do it? Tell Melissa and Jolene I haven’t forgotten about them but I write them a letter later. At present I am watching two men on the TV talking about the economy here. It is bad and getting worse. The dollar went down again today. Last week  I saw an ad in the paper by the south African bureau saying that Australians get more for their dollar by having a holiday in SA which is true because every other country that people from here would go the dollar becomes much less.

                I hope Stacey doesn’t grow up too quickly. You want the girls to enjoy her just as a baby because the time she will be a baby is not very long. Most mothers I meet like their babies when they are very small. Personally I like little children when they can talk to you. A couple of weeks ago we minded Benjamin for the night. At his age they are wonderful to be with. He has a wonderful imagination. We had to go early because we wanted to go to an auction at Trentham so we left Beverley to look after him. They get on well.

                Tell Jolene she is not the only one with weak eye muscles. I got my eyes tested last week and I thought I would need stronger glasses because when I have been reading awhile my eyes ache but the optician said my eyes are just the same but because of my age the muscles at the side are getting weak so they tire after I have been using them for a while. All I can do is rest my eyes. Now I find I can’t read all night as I used to. Between 1 or 2 hours is as long as I can go then I watch TV for a change. I still read one or two books a week.

                Pamela keep up reading quite a few books every week that she was away. Hardly any new ones so I suppose she will spend her money first on books or clothes I am not sure which she puts first. I wouldn’t be surprised if she can’t get into any of her shoes here after living in thongs for two years. I think it will take a few weeks to settle down and we will have to put up with her while she does. You never know though she might have learnt some patience while she has been aways let’s hope so.

                This is a bit of a rambling letter but never mind I have just gone on & on. I am home by myself dad has gone to a Deacon’s meeting and will be late and there wasn’t much on TV tonight. I think I will go to bed now and read till I go to sleep.

                I hope you did enjoy your holiday in Capetown even though it would be cold. It certainly would be different from Empangeni.  And it is always fun to do something different.

                                                                Love to everybody
                                                                                                From mum.
               




No comments:

Post a Comment