Saturday 11 February 2017

From Melbourne 20.1.86

From Melbourne
20.1.86

Dear Alan and Lorna,
                                                Your parcel arrived today. Everything arrived in good condition. That basketware container is beautiful. We were sorry when we got home that we had not bought more of the crafts we saw in Natal. They were the best in South Africa. The wooden bowl is lovely too. I like round objects. Alan wouldn’t have known because I have bought both of them since he left here but I have a beautiful round glass container and a round pottery vase that looks just like a round stone. The basketware, the wooden bowl, the glass and the pottery are very much the same shape. I like things that feel good in your hands. Lois and Ken came for tea tonight and they liked them too. Lois thought the workmanship of the weaving was better than in Tonga but the best there is very good. I have just rehung   we bought back which was form Lesotho because we painted the lounge room so I got a better rod to hang it on. I should use the basket to keep something special in it but I can’t think what but it is a beautiful decorative piece by itself.

                I ironed all the newspapers that you stuffed them with so that we could read the paper. They are interesting to read.

                As soon as I had put down the phone after speaking to you all I realised I hadn’t asked about your exam results. That’s what happens on the hone I think of all the things I should have said afterwards. Mostly you both did well. Seeing Lorna wasn’t feeling to well that wasn’t bad and you have another chance.

                Beverley has at last finished her degree. We are going out on Thursday night to sort of celebrate. To and Italian restaurant because we all like Italian food and it is near to where Beverley is living in Carlton. 

                Why do you write such different letters to Beverley and Pamela from what they say they are entirely different from the ones I get and you can read them because they are typed. I think Lorna’s last letter was typed but her writing is legible anyway. Pamela said your letter put hers in the kindergarten stage but the letters she writes to me are her diary of her stay so she puts everything in and I do mean everything. Everyday she has got down what she did. Sometimes her letters are a bit hard to read and boring but she says if she doesn’t put it all down as it happens she might forget. When she gets home I have got all her letters and photos in order.

                I am writing this letter at Trentham. After tea tonight Lois and I came up here because a plumber is coming out tomorrow to fix the gasheater. It is easier to come at night so I don’t have to hurry up in the morning. There was hardly any traffic and from the time we turned off the highway at Woodend we didn’t see another car. It was about 10 o’clock. All the farmers must have gone to bed.

                 It was good to see the children’s reports. They certainly much fuller reports that the children of the same age here. You must be pleased with them both. They are both very good reports.  I see Jolene has grown quite a bit from last year but I can’t tell her from Melissa’s. I see her writing has improved but I am not sure whether that is important. During the holidays Benjamin has been in here a few times. He is learning to swim and the swimming pool is just around the corner. I think Melissa and Jolene would be better swimmers. He is just starting but he enjoys it so that helps.

                You mentioned about coming over to see you all and the baby. We would like too and we are going too but it won’t be this year.    You wouldn’t have noticed but when we were in SA several times I didn’t feel all that well and I was very uncomfortable. I have been to the doctor and he says I just need a small operation. It’s a sort of prolapse but he said an uncommon kind. So I am not going on any long holidays until it is fixed up. It spoils your enjoyment. This will be my last year teaching I’ve decided there are other things to do. I am not sure whether to have myself fixed up now and use up all my sick leave or wait until I finish work. I will see how the year goes because they are supposed to be building a new kindergarten of the grounds of the one I work at. While it is being built would not be a good time to have a relief teacher.

                When all our children were young I made most of their clothes myself.  I used to enjoy sewing. It did save money but I think I did it more because I liked seeing the things I could do. It is much easier to make clothes for a hot climate than when it is cold. It is very easy to run up pretty little dresses for girls and give them a different look from their friends.

                I am enclosing an article about the cricketers. When they first went some people said there should be not publicity so we didn’t know what was happening. But as they have played we have been hearing more and more about them. There would be many people here who are just as vigorously defending their right to go as there are many people who say we should have nothing to do with them. SA always makes good copy and every now and again there is an article like the other one about people leaving. I am not sure that it proves anything one way or another but people do like to read about SA.

Went I went to check up the address (I have a rotten memory) I found I had forgotten Jolene. I hope she wasn’t disappointed. I will send another letter to Jolene today.

                                Love from mum.





                 



No comments:

Post a Comment