Saturday 11 February 2017

From Melbourne 24.2.86

From Melbourne
24.2.86

Dear Alan,
                How is Lorna as the day rapidly approaches? You will no doubt ring mum and dad’s when the day arrives. Per chance (hopefully) I’ll be there.

                A friend, Catherine, and I are cosily nestled in a huge and extremely tasteless on-site caravan by a football oval in Apollo Bay. It is decked out in lime green (vinyl and floral) seats, aqua stripped curtains, blue-green carpet and a commercial painting of an old sailing ship. Even the frame is of a complimentary blue. Kitsch yet quaint. Harmonious in a way.

                The weather is fierce. Windy, wild, brisk and most importantly of all away (many hours from Melbourne) . A much needed break!

                I have moved to a modern flat in Elwood. Raoul is buying the two-bedroom abode and it appears (at the moment) that we will live together with few ruffles. He works six days of the week and is taking a CAE night course in silver smithing.

                This suits me very much.

                It’s the first time that I have moved in with a total stranger. Answered an ad in the paper. What attracted me to the place was the fact that I could easily have decorated it the way he has.

                It is sparse, clean and not disturbing. Thanks to you I have started seeing that lieutenant who acquired the information for you.

                At present it is very nice but I’ll see how it goes. Though (relatively) still young an already accumulated series of regrets forces caution to dominate the proceedings. With, of course, whatever spontaneity there is to excite. He is extremely nice (!)

                I despise my job even more.

                When I return my immediate concern is to badger the public service until they offer me another position. Anything else simply couldn’t be so dissatisfying . I want to actually work and feel like I’m at least partly employed for   a reason.

                At Lonsdale the truth is I shouldn’t be employed. It is blatantly a non-job. The navy could function without it. I would function without it!

                A few weeks ago I and three friends went plane gliding up at Tocumwal near Cobram over the NSW border.

                It was fantastic. We had four rides each where, in 2 seater gliders, the pilot (who is behind) and passengers have identical controlling mechanisms.so by the forth ride (that was me anyway!) I had a stint at flying while the pilot sat back.

                The venue is run by Germans and employs the world champion who happens to be an expatriate German too. Because of this and no doubt heavy advertising in Germany the majority of people there were Germans. One man was spending his entire time in Australia at Tocumwal which, while we were there, was hot dry and windy. Hence ideal for gliding.

                I and Jean were lucky to have a flight with Hugo (the world champion). On this we reached 4,000 ft and remained literally gliding for 45 minutes. What an introduction to flying! It was the first time I had been in the air.

                We are now contemplating parachuting. One day when the purse (and dare I say gumption) fits!

                What news did you receive of the current Philippine people’s revolution?

                The desolate overcast beach followed by quiet nights in the local pub somehow made it seem quite irrelevant. Just as the Vietnam war was and even in the latter days influenced by the media so was this a definite media event.

                Extraordinary to actually record an event like this which, in a third world country anyway, normally receives the most exposure through the print media.

                Or maybe it has been happening for years and I finally have taken notice. Yet Australia for one has and always has devoted a lot of media time to the Philippines.

                African coups are in the paper one day. In the world news section and not the next.

                                                                                                with love from Bev


No comments:

Post a Comment