Saturday 16 September 2017

From Hobart : 30.3.1992

ALAN CARLTON
PO BOX 1078
GPO HOBART
7001
30/3/92




Dear



Thank you for your letter.  Make that a form letter.  I had to look that up in the dictionary which says that a form letter is a letter printed, duplicated, or typed,  copies of which are sent to a number of people.  I don't know the word to describe a family brag news-sheet which is enclosed with the Christmas card.  Perhaps you can think of one.  Australian's are all embracing Ausmas now though I have yet to see any Ausmas cards.

The World Cup has been a very exciting and entertaining sporting occasion.  The competition was very even.  In the end the final was won with several moments of absolute class and pure talent by Pakistan.  The tournament seemed to go for weeks and contained moments of drama, controversy and character.  Zimbabwe played Australia in Hobart and I abstained.  The vast majority of people watching the World Cup did their viewing via a TV.  I was one of them. 

There may be advantages with form letters but there are obvious disadvantages.  The main one is that to  please everybody and offend nobody you have to say nothing.  This letter which I am now looking at doesn't say much.  Are you coming back to Australia?  What about G?  What does G stand for?  I assume G stands for gorgeous.  Why did G sell his house?  Have you become a Born Again Christian?  Is it cold in Canada?  Will good triumph over evil?

I can hear Macca talking on the radio in the background. What a comforting and reassuring  sound.   It's Sunday morning in Australia and the weather is fine.  Yesterday I listened to the football on the ABC.  I heard snatches of a match for the first time this year.  I think I have heard every cliche previously but I like it and I don't care who knows it.  If I can hear Tim Lane and Peter Booth on the radio then I know that all is right in the world.  Footscray opened the season with a big win.  They defeated Adelaide in Adelaide but they have their feet on the ground, they are not getting carried away, they are taking it one week at a time and there is a long way to go.


Regards

Alan Carlton

P.S.....Footscray had a big win in the second round over St Kilda

No comments:

Post a Comment