Saturday 16 September 2017

From Hobart : 28.6.92

ALAN CARLTON
PO BOX 1078
GPO HOBART
7001
28/6/92

Dear Bev

It's another beautiful Sunday in Hobart.  Sunday is the only day I seem to write letters.  I think they should also be read on Sunday.  They deserve to read on a meandering languorous Sunday for that is the spirit in which this is written.  If you receive this letter during the week don't open it until the week-end. 

Melissa and Jolene are at swimming and Stacey has just gone to a Birthday party at McDonalds.  She wasn't looking forward to it. Last time she went to a party there, she did not enjoy it.  She said that there were other people playing on the slides apart from those at the party.  Stacey is learning to read at school.  In the last month she has begun to try and read everything she can see.  At breakfast she tries to read the cereal packets.  When the girls do homework then she also sits down and does her homework.

Footscray is still playing very well.  They were on top of the ladder for a number of weeks.  I do not feel comfortable when they are on top.  I would prefer them to be just below the top.  Life is tough at the top but much easier just below but quite near the top.  At the top expectations are high and you can never pull off an upset.  When we used to go and watch Footscray play the highlight of the year was always an upset.  When unpredictable Footscray used the wind to beat a team near the top.

Regards




ALAN CARLTON



PS

Stacey has returned from her party and she enjoyed the party.  She very carefully shared out the smarties that she returned with.  She said that she spent her time talking to Danelle's dad.  The children seem to be invited to a lot more parties than me.  Nearly every week-end we need to buy a present.  We were invited to a BBQ the other week-end.  Parents of a friend of Stacey.  I didn't know anybody there and when we arrived, and the host failed to introduce us around, I smelt a rat.  When I saw a group of men gathered around the BBQ talking about cars I knew I was in the wrong place.  Children don't seem to have the same problems.  They never talk about cars.  I have never heard anybody ever say anything interesting about cars.


Our car had a flat tyre the other week.  I managed to change it but I have not yet put the spare back where it belongs.  It is still lying in the boot which means it will be very easy to get at next time we have a flat tyre.  Apart from that our car has behaved in a reliable, predictable way.  It thrives on neglect.  I have an abundance of that to give it.  And plenty left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment