Saturday 24 December 2016

From Melbourne : 7.85

From Melbourne

Dear Alan and Lorna,
                                That was a good photo of you in the paper did you know the photographer or were you just lucky. Do you think you could get a copy of the photo from the paper. It would be good to have one. I have been trying to make a frame with photos of everyone. I have got two excellent photos of the girls. The ones beside the swimming pool. Everyone said how good they looked.  The only one we have of Lorna is not a very good one and we have got two of you one putting your socks on and the other one all we can see is the top of your head because you are pulling a tooth out. So we could do with a couple of photos of you and Lorna. At least I did have one of you but I couldn’t find one photo of Beverley taken recently. I have taken them but she took them all because she didn’t like them. The only one I had many photos of was Lois and also Pamela while we were in Tonga.

                Nowhere in the paper did it say how long the race was. It must have been long I just don’t know how you can do it. I know you need to do some exercise but the race must have been very long. I don’t think you would get as many people here running so far. Lots run marathons but not much further.

                Your birth certificate is enclosed. We only got it Friday It takes 3 weeks to find and send it to us. I suppose it stops you getting out of the country in a hurry.

                Also I am enclosing and article from Saturdays’ paper. It doesn’t tell you there but even though most people can’t see why Sportsmen shouldn’t t go there is no-one who argues with apartheid. No-one here even tries to find an argument for it but what most people feel is that if we are still doing business with south Africa why should the sportsmen be told they can’t go. It is just that they feel Sportsmen are bring the only ones being used to change the South African government.

                I have just finished reading a book called ‘Sons of Zulu’ by Aubrey Elliot published by Collins. I didn’t like the way he writes – he seemed very condescending about the Zulus but the photos were beautiful. But what percentage of Zulus live as he shows I would be interested to know. Are there many who live as they have lived for the last 100 years or so. Maybe there are still a lot of Zulus living like they are in the book but I wonder. The book was published in 1978 so it is fairly up to date.

                Guess what! We are losing this week a part of the family or sort of.

                Beverly is getting a car for herself and she is using the Mini as a trade-in. I have been using it mostly this year because it wasn’t good enough for her to get to Monash or back. She has been looking for a while and on Saturday she fell in love with a car as soon as she saw it so this week the Mini goes.

                In a way I will be sorry to see it go it has been a good car and still pleasant to drive even though it was going through oil as well as petrol and the clutch had nearly gone and the brakes were not as good as they should be. But I have just been going to the kinder & back each day. It won’t be quite the same without the Mini. At least we will have the Commodore all the time now and Beverley will have to look after her own car herself.

Tell Melissa and Jolene that I will write to them soon but I thought I better get this letter off as soon as possible so that you will have your birth certificate. I hope that by now you have fully recovered from the long race which we all thought you did very well. I think anybody who finished it was remarkable. But I hope you have found an easier way of exercising.

                                                                                                Love from Mum


No comments:

Post a Comment