Saturday 24 December 2016

From Empangeni 10.9.85

From Empangeni
10.9.85
Dear Mom and Dad,

I am feeling much better now and as it is very hot here the children and I go swimming every afternoon and I think it is all the exercise that has made me better.

Melissa and Jolene are very excited about having a baby in the family and are already fighting about who is going to push the pram.  On Saturday they went with me to visit the doctor and he allowed them in while I was having an ultra-sound scan and he was explaining what everything was and although they said they could see what he was showing them I don’t think they could see very much because it was even difficult for me to work out what was what. After the scan he used another machine to detect the baby’s heart beat which they could definitely understand. Jolene is always me to feel her heart is thumping after she has been running around, something that she picked up from TV.

It is just as well that I am feeling better because it is now just over a month until I start writing exams. The first is on 15 October and I have eleven exam papers to write which will take me through to the 6 November and Alan is writing four exams in the same period and so we are both trying to do as much revision as we can. I am not working at the moment so I have the mornings and evenings to study.  The afternoons    are reserved for the children. I was hoping to get another job in November and to work as long as possible, but I am not sure it will be easy getting temporary employment.

The economy in this country is getting worse every day. The rand was trading as low as 35 cents to the American dollar when the financial rand was introduced and the minister of Finance declaring that no foreign loans will be repaid before the end of December. Although we find it difficult to believe that there is so much trouble going on in this country because we are so far from any of the trouble spots, we can see what it is doing to the economy. Our fuel prices are very high and there is talk the price is going to be increased in the near future. The last increase was about a 44% increase so although I don’t know exactly what it is , you can guess how much it is  as Alan said when he first came to SA it was about twice as much as in Australia.

Alan was very surprised when he phoned you because he got through straight away. I thought you may have been at Trentham for the weekend. Do you often spend your weekends at Trentham or do you only go in summer. Your winter sounds pretty miserable compared with us. Our house has a fire place but I don’t think it is ever used. We had a very mild winter and already it is very hot during the day and we are sleeping with the air-conditioner at night. It is so warm in the winter that we still have thousands of mosquitoes even in the winter and it is almost impossible to go out at night without getting eaten alive.

Melissa has joined the Brownies and she is really enjoying it. On Saturday night they had a 75th birthday celebration and all the Guides and Brownies in the region had a get together and put on a concert and each pack baked a cake which was judged in a competition. The Brownies came home to sleep the night and then on Sunday morning they had to attend a church service. She is also going on a pack holiday in 2 weeks’ time to Windy Ridge game park for the weekend where they will also be doing a bit of hiking. She is quite excited about it but Jolene isn’t very happy and it will be the first time that they are separated.
                                                                That’s all for now.
                                                                                Love from Lorna



No comments:

Post a Comment