Saturday 24 December 2016

From Melbourne 11/85

From Melbourne
11/85

Dear Alan and Lorna,
                                The postal union have decided that they will now process letters to South Africa. Some of the unions here are running the country. On Cup Day we had no trains in Victoria. The railways union went for a strike the week before the cup for no good reason. They thought the government would give in to them but there are several strong ministers so they just put more trains and buses on for Cup Day. The workers went back later without getting what they wanted.

                The main hospitals in Melbourne are sending patients home because Hospital Employers unions won’t work with non-unionists and the government hasn’t given in to them. The woman’s hospital is just allowing mothers to have their babies and on the 2nd day they have to go home.

                The builders laborers have put bans on Government buildings again but the Government is trying to deregister them. These are all State Government problems except the postal ban. Everyone criticizes SA and anyone who says we are not going the right way is howled down. A couple of weeks ago Formula 1 racing had a grand prix race in Adelaide. Almost all the cars and drivers came straight from South Africa but there was not one word of protest because of all the money involved.  There is an election next month in South Australia and the grand prix racing was looked on as a boost to the economy. There was just a small paragraph saying that the person writing thought they saw the drivers getting off a South African plane. He wondered where all the protestors were.

                It was easy enough for the postal workers to ban your mail it didn’t cost them anything but who they to bare the cost well that is a different matter.

                Well I have got that off my chest. There are other strikes by unionists but that is enough to show you who is really running this country. Just in case the mail gets stopped again could you please send the address of Lorna’s sister who lives in Swaziland (that is if she still does) so that we can send letters via her.

                I also had some articles about the cricketers but I seem to have lost them. Kim Hughes was speaking at a luncheon in a restaurant in Melbourne.  While he was speaking demonstrators outside burnt an effigy of Kim Hughes.

                Are all your exams over now Lorna? I hope you are feeling a lot better now. You can’t do much about the weather and the baby but when your exams are over then you can relax a little. Well a little! But you never do get over them until the results are out. The only person we have who is still doing exams is Beverley and she doesn’t live here and we don’t see her much so it is not like when everyone was home. I sometimes wonder whether it isn’t worse for parents than the children when they are doing exams.

                Are Melissa and Jolene still excited about the baby or are they tired of waiting.  It always seems a long time for children even though for us the time races. I don’t know where it goes but there just doesn’t seem enough hours in the day for all I would like to do. Night time is not much good for me I seem to be too tired to do much so I have to do everything during the day which isn’t long enough.

                The last three Saturday I have spent pushing a large motor mower over the grass at Trentham. Norm has to do the painting of all the new work and I can’t paint at all so I get the grass mowing to do.  It gets done but I am very slow just walking behind the mower. But this way I don’t get worn out and can keep young for a long time. Everything is beautiful and green we have had a very wet October and November.  The countryside looks good Aunty Grace and Win are coming with us this Saturday just to sit under the trees and enjoy the country. They invited themselves because they just like going and they don’t mind if we are both working. They can look after themselves although they have slowed down a bit now. They are both 86 now. Somehow I don’t think I will be as active as they are when I am that old if I ever get to that age. Some days my back and legs are all aches and pain and I can hardly move the next day I am as  fit as anything but I still go carefully that why I cut the grass slowly. I feel better afterwards than trying to hurry. This is not the best letter it has been done in bits and pieces as I found time but I wanted to send one over soon as we were able again.

                                                                                                Love to you all Mum





No comments:

Post a Comment