Sunday 7 August 2016

From Melbourne (Mum) : 28.10.82

From Melbourne
28.10.82

Dear Alan,
                I just sent a parcel last week which should reach you before Christmas. You tell which things are for you but I have put in several other things which I thought you might like to give to anyone you have got to know. Some are of better quality than others but they are all Australian. I also stuffed it with the newspaper of last weekend and several dental magazines which I managed to squeeze in.

                Something happened to me yesterday which I can’t remember ever happening before. I lost my voice. Must have just been my voice box because I wasn’t sick just couldn’t talk. I went to the kindergarten the children were very good. Still hasn’t come back yet. Pamela wanted to speak to me on the phone when she heard m voice all she did was laugh. I think I must be a little run down. Have been working a bit harder lately. Just shows what happens when you don’t look after yourself as well as you should.

                You mentioned that the father of man you are staying with was in a Concentration Camp. I have just read 2 books on the Boer War (or parts of 2 books). The Concentration Camps were certainly awful places. I think the term concentration camp was first used in describing these camps. I sometimes wonder if the British had lost the war and the Afrikaaners were always in government whether there would be apartheid now.

                Beverley is in the middle of exams now. Pamela is going up this weekend to spend time with Lois. Anne thinks she will be at Tottenham Tech again next year. I don’t think it is very easy teaching there.

                Every night on the news we hear of more factories that are closing down or just putting off more workers. Massey Fergusson’s are putting off another 80 tomorrow. We now have several fathers at the kindergarten who are out of work.  I don’t think they are even looking for a job. Yesterday a group of more workers who were losing their job came to Canberra from Wollongong to see the Prime Minister. They were so angry they broke the front doors of parliament house. They still didn’t get what they wanted. But it does show the angry mood of some of the workers.
                                                                                                Love from Mum


No comments:

Post a Comment