Sunday 7 August 2016

From Melbourne (Mum) : 11.12.82

From Melbourne
11.12.82

Dear Alan,
                I am at Anna’s place tonight minding her three children while she and Gary go to his work’s Christmas break-up. They live right on the very edge of St Albans facing Rockbank. Over their back fence is nothing but paddocks, Koroit creek and snakes. Last time I was here it was very windy. It is very isolated not many houses around. The children are all asleep now I’ve bought a book to read – “Crime and Punishment”. I think it is the third time I have read the book but it starts on TV next Tuesday night so I thought I would refresh my memory. John Hurt plays the student.

                We received your parcel last week maybe it was the week before. I remember seeing in the TV series on the White Tribes of Africa black women sitting in the door ways of shanties they were living in outside Capetown doing beading exactly the same as you sent. It is very beautiful. The other things are nice too but I did like the beadwork the best. I don’t know to divide them so I have hidden them away @ I will give them altogether at Christmas and they can decide among themselves.

Bev and Pam found the wrapping and wanted to know what there was. I think they can wait. I had a look through the cookbook. It was interesting in that I couldn’t find anything that looked as if it was the traditional food of the black people. There was food from England, Holland, India @ Asian countries but I couldn’t see anything that the black people could have done. Do the black people now eat the same as the other people or have they just been ignored. There was a recipe for dried meat (biltong) but I don’t know who did it first.

Lis rang up yesterday – she had just got a letter to say she has a position at King Park high. It is just around the corner from Anna’s. It is all new and doesn’t go to Matric yet. Each year they go up another form and I think next year it goes to 5th from.  Everything is new. The yard is a mess because buildings are still going up. Debbie who was in the athletics and hockey with Lois is the PE teacher so with Lois to help they could have a few good sports teams if they wish. Beverley got some results yesterday she failed in Economics which she said she hadn’t worked very hard at (I agree) and got a credit in Politics which I didn’t think she had worked very hard at either. She said she will just have to make up one subject from the first year next year.

Darryl got married last night. Only a small wedding but Ray said everything went very well. She is a Malayian Chinese girl who I studying over here. I will try and write before Christmas but if I haven’t time don’t forget we will be thinking about you on Christmas day.

                                Love from mum
                                 




No comments:

Post a Comment