Monday 1 August 2016

From Melbourne (Mum) : 1.7.82

From Melbourne
1.7.82
Dear Alan,
                                I didn’t exactly say that South Africa was healthier than India I just said Pamela had to have a lot of injections. I suppose I inferred that it was. Pamela actually was sick from the injections that she had when she was having. One of the injections only lasts a few weeks so she had to have it in the last week. She was sent home from work two days from the malaria tablets and all the “germs” inside her. We have had one letter from her. It was written while she was staying on a house boat in Kashmir. She said most of the other people on the trek through the mountains are young people by themselves just like her so they are all getting on quite well.

                Beverley seems to be copping quite well with living by herself in Pamela’s flat. She doesn’t seem to panic when things go wrong. One day as he was going out she shut the door and she had left the key inside. She went to the Police Station but the police couldn’t get in but they were able to tell her of a locksmith nearby and he was able to open the lock. She has been going to a few friends places who live near the flat for tea and she has been inviting them there for tea.

                Lois was home last week for three days while she did a course in textiles at the Preston college of Textiles. One of the days David Frost was there. He owns the TV rights to the Guinness book of Records.   The college broke the record for the time it takes to make a man’s suit from the sheep. There were three sheep at the college, shearers, weavers, cutters and sewers. In one and a half hours from the time the wool was on the sheep one of the lecturers was wearing three piece suit. The only thing they didn’t do was dye the wool. This was a world record. Lois said there were people rushing around everywhere and for a time the course was forgotten. She won’t be home again this term as it is too far to come home for two days.

                I’m sorry I really don’t know a lot about the football except that Footscray is on the bottom. They have just sacked their coach and one of the players has taken over till the end of the year. When I see an interesting article on the football I will cut it out and send you. Are the people in South Africa as mad on sport as most Australians are.

                I read a book about the bushmen earlier in the year. Pamela gave me the name of a new book about the Kalahari Desert and the bushmen which I will see if I can get from the library.
                Several of the people who have seen your photos of the bushman’s paintings have remarked how much like the very early paintings in other countries. Only I imagine the painting by the bushmen[AC1] [AC2]  are not nearly as old as those in the caves in France.

                I hope everything is going alright with you. It is very quiet here. Just Dad and I. We have nearly finished the front bedroom and will shift in next weekend. I am not sure that I told you in the last letter that Humphrey was killed so it is even more quiet. I don’t know whether we will get another dog or not but if we do it will not be until the holidays when someone will be home most of the time.

                I’ve had the TV on all the time I’ve been writing this letter but I haven’t been watching very much. Today the ABC is 50 years old so they are just going over all history of the ABC. I watched the part which showed the children’s session that I used to belong to.

                We will have all the young people from the church here for supper. They are going to the swimming pool first. Please look after yourself with all those diseases around you.

                                                                                Love from mum.
               

               










No comments:

Post a Comment