Tuesday 13 July 2021

Around the World with Bradley: Leaving via CapeTown

Beautiful sunny day. Pack up.

Ron Smith: I just came to say goodbye.

He shakes hands and goes.

Garett gets his matric results and burst into tears. He runs and hides in the toilet. We eventually hop in the car.

Lionel: Is it easier to migrate to Tassie that the rest of the country?

It is very hot in Durban.

Me: Where is Debbie?

Lionel: She’s in the car.

Me: Why?

Lionel: She’s been crying.

Lionel goes to get her. She greets us with red eyes.

Lionel gets some vegetarian pies for his kids. Covered in the biggest, darkest., thickest gravy. Looks disgusting.

Debbie: Actually it’s quite nice.

Lionel: It’s a meat based gravy.

When we depart everybody cries. I feel tears climbing and try and control them. I give a strangled laugh which sounds very stupid.

Four hours to wait at Capetown airport. Stacey goes to post a couple of postcards in a mailbox. A man standing next to the postbox says: Can I see that?

Stacey: Yes, that’s alright.

Me: What are you checking?

Man: Just checking to see if you have enough stamps on. I work in the post office. I hope you had a nice time in Capetown.

In the airport lounge I gradually realise it’s an Aussie accent behind me. The first one in two weeks. On the plane the Pommie accents shock me. Used to the guttural SA accent.

 

At the airport we go get our VAT back. Fill out forms. Show her the receipt from the CDs we bought. Show her the CDs the receipt, filled out form and the computer rejects us. The lady is proud to show us she couldn’t care. At her break she will complain about us tourists.

We check in. We ask for seats next to a basinet in the front. This lady is incredibly helpful. One person enthusiastic, helpful, full of goodness. One person with bad attitude disease.

Bradley is not interested. He sleeps peacefully in his bassinet. I wish I could sleep as peacefully but my legs are trapped by the bassinet. Uncomfortable.

Nobody asked me about Australia apart from migration. None asked me about my work or life in Hobart. No mention of the Sydney Olympics.

I dreaded going to SA. It is exciting going to London. The plane buoys me. It is sophisticated, stylish and thoughtful.

The story in south Africa is not the violence. The story is the threat of violence causes people to behave in certain ways.

The menu has a wellbeing selection for healthy eating. Each seat has its own small TV with a choice of films and a dozen channels. The steward sprays the cabin with a gross smell. No escape. Steward does his safety talk routinely to a plane full of apathy. I think he means what he says.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment