Saturday 31 July 2021

Around the World with Bradley: Canada: Shopping Mall

West Edmonton Shopping Mall: The eighth wonder of the world.

800 shops. Shop selling black leather gloves; tattooist; body piercing; specialty shops.

Galaxyland: indoor amusement arcade.  Mini golf; go karts; ice skating rink;; dolphin show; dolphins jumping out of water; standing on their tails;; giant wave pool with numerous water slides;, beach patrols; bungee jumping;

Virtually empty; post-Christmas; kids back at school;

Ice skating rink in the centre surrounded by shops.

I skate with trepidation. About 6 locals young guys skate expertly. Racing each other;

I skate tentatively unsure if I can stand; Two young guys skate in front of me missing me by about a foot. They look at each other and laugh. I don’t flinch. I don’t alter my style, They wanted me to jump back. To be frightened. they then leave me to skate alone. A few more slow laps of the rink and one guy skates beside me: You need to lean forward. Stick your bum out. You get better balance.

I don’t want to speak. He won’t understand me. I nod.

Later we watch a figure skater. Easy naturalistic graceful and difficult.

Lunch: Burger place. American 50’s style. Nice burgers,

Teenagers dress like Americans. No gloves. No tooks.

Shop selling pictures: We enter and lady grabs us and says: What exactly are you looking for.

A minute later: What particular one are you looking for. Perhaps I can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment