Thursday 29 June 2017

From Italy : 3.12.90

From Italy
3.12.90


Dear Alan,
                Well yes – what can you say? Over a year I have been away and it is not until now that I put pen to paper. Mum says you always ask about me. Well I believe part of that.

                Life here is extremely variable. Particularly at the moment. Today for instance I worked from 7:30 am -9:00 pm with lunch & dinner stops (mind you they are long enough to eat and that is all). Doing various things – preparations for lunch, helping with clean up afterwards, not a minute to myself until now.

                (Watching “Top Gun” with Italian dubbing!) Other days I have hours to myself and find myself wanting something to do. Never satisfied.

                My first white Christmas (hopefully). This house is big and a room in December we started to decorate for Christmas. They have put lights on the trees outside the dining room and lounge room. Lovely.

                They do everything big.

                So thin is how the rich live. Not for me, well not in thin fashion. They never relax, always on the go, everything in the house has to be perfect. Not a speck of dust allowed in my room. To begin with I simply couldn’t understand why? (still don’t) but I suppose I have adapted (not changed) and three months have already passed. Probably another six to go.

                The family have another house in the Alps on the Austrian side and usually spend a few weeks there after Christmas. Inches from the ski slopes. I think it will be worthwhile for the opportunity to ski.

                My Italian is coming along. You may be surprised to hear. It is such a sensible and beautiful sounding language.

                It would   be much better if I had to speak it with the family. But I speak English with all the members. The children are virtually fluent in English with American accents.

                Most Italians I speak to who know English speak it with an American accent.
                They can’t pick that up from TV or the cinema because everything is dubbed.

                The food is okay. I like the pasta their meat dishes are large lumps of meat. Gross. I usually don’t eat them. I eat what I want as one serves (takes) their own choice. Every meal has salad and fruit which is nice.

                And the coffee of course, cappuccino with a freshly made (still hot) pastry. Yes I have this on my day off when I go into the local town (I live in a village) for my lesson.

                So how is life in Hobart? I have never been to Tasmania. Shame really. Perhaps when I return?

                All this way and I haven’t been to Queensland, New Zealand… King Island!

                Have a lovely Christmas.

                I will be thinking of you as I speed down the slopes!

                                                                                Take care,

                                                                                                Love Bev









                 

No comments:

Post a Comment