Wednesday 23 November 2016

From Melbourne 16.4.85

From Melbourne
16.4.85

Dear Alan,
                                Congratulations on entering the manacles of matrimony. How many offspring have you produced so far? I am sorry I did not write earlier but there have been a few ups and downs in my life over the past 6 months. I hope your address is correct but if it isn’t I guess you won’t be reading this … so why am I bothering to write it?

                I have been working in Papua New Guinea since Dec last year and have only just returned to Oz. I had an interesting job up there but was forced to leave due to repeated and increasingly violent attacks on myself. Apparently, and unfortunately, I inherited a payback feud which was originally aimed at my predecessor in the position a pom. This was a pity as the clinical work was great…. Even if the conditions, equipment, materials and staff were not.

                I was one dentist to 330,000 people all of whom were in need of dental help.  I was shocked by the fuckin’ low standard of dental health. Anyway     I spent 99.99% of my time playing oral surgeon and learnt a lot. It was bloody good experience that I could not possible get in Australia.  I received any amount of 8’s, saw a hell of a lot of oral CA and had a go at removing a few of the smaller ones, wired broken jaws. I was even asked to repair a middle third fracture … with no fuckin’ Levant frames etc. It is bloody amazing what you can do when you have to! It has made me bloody cynical about the position that oral surgeons put themselves in in Australia. They are full of shit in my opinion I certainly won’t be referring too many patients to them in the future! Actually since you left the numbers of oral surgeons in Melbourne has probable doubled.

                As this is the first job I can truly say I enjoyed I will be looking for another like it. Right now I am doing nothing but am planning to go to the UK by about the middle of next month. I have a work permit for the UK which I was bloody lucky to get as a week after I get it the immigration policy was changed and no longer will Aust doctors and dentists be given easy access to permits. Thus, so long as enter the country within 6 months my permit is valid. I only intend doing a few locum positions to stop me from going broke….that is if there are jobs available. Obviously the reason the immigration policy was changed must be because they no longer need our wonderful help.                     
  
                I have plenty of pommie friends who I intend to visit and parasitise and this is the real reason for going.  I also have a girlfriend in Holland who has asked me to visit so no matter what I do I should have a good time. God, I’ve been talking about going to the UK ever since I graduated! 

Remember how we tentatively we’re thinking of going early 1980? Well at bloody last I’ll get there! 
 
                Well that is about all I can be bothered writing for now. Please keep in touch and if you see any jobs that may interest me please let me know.  As I intend seeing a bit of the world before I return to work in Aust don’t be surprised if I visit RSA.

                Let me know how life’s treating you, you old bastard!
                                                                                Regards CJ




No comments:

Post a Comment